If you’re reading this, you’ve probably already caught the golfing bug and are ready to graduate to your first set of beginner irons. If you were anything like me when I started playing, then this decision can’t come soon enough! When I first started, I was using a rusty old set of second-hand irons which looked like they had been handed down through generations of family members.
When I eventually bought my first set of irons, I had no idea where to start or what I was looking for. However, today you can relax and let Sunday Red Golf guide you through the confusing world of the best irons for beginners.
So, here’s my take on the top five irons perfect for beginners in 2023.
- Callaway Paradym Golf Irons (Editors Choice)
- Ping G425 Irons (Most Forgiving Choice)
- Wilson Staff D9 Irons (Best Budget Option)
- Cobra Aerojet Irons (Best Overall Value Option)
- TaylorMade Stealth Irons (Top Choice for Distance)
First on my list has to be the iron that everyone is talking about this year. The Callaway Paradym has created a real buzz in the golf world. Keep reading to find out why and how these could be the perfect choice as the best irons for beginner golfers.
Although these irons can be used by any skill level of golfer, they are specifically designed for beginner golfers. They are perfect for players seeking distance and forgiveness but have the look of pro-level irons. They combine high-tech components, like a forged 455 face (Callaway's most powerful), with a hollow body design, for the promise of speed, higher launch, and consistent spin. This sounds like the perfect combination for any beginner golfer!
The Paradym irons have tungsten weights designed to improve launch and speed even on off-center hits. Also, I don't want to get too techy, but they also have urethane microspheres; I know it sounds like an STI, but it means you get a super-soft feel and a unique sound every time you hit the ball.
- Forgiving Design: The Callaway Paradym irons have a hollow body design with tungsten weighting, which means even if you don't hit the ball perfectly, you're still likely to see decent results.
- Distance Assistance: If you're new to golf and struggling with your distance, these irons use AI technology to increase speed and help your ball travel further.
- Feels Good: With a forged 455 face and satin finish, these irons have a premium feel, making your golfing experience more enjoyable.
- Pricey: As a beginner, you might not be ready to fork out £171 per iron. Although it can 100% improve your game, you might want to consider whether this investment makes sense for you at this stage.
The Ping G425 irons are packed with technology designed to make golf more enjoyable for beginners. The first thing you need to know about is the "Variable Face Thickness" technology. It might sound complex, but it's really important; this helps you launch the golf ball higher and further, even when you don't hit it exactly right.
Due to this, I found this iron to be extremely forgiving; the irons have a feature called "Face Hinging & Flexing." This means the club's face flexes a bit on impact, helping you launch the ball faster and higher. So, if you're a beginner who struggles to get the ball airborne, this feature could be a lifesaver on the course! I found these clubs to be packed with beginner-friendly features that will make the game more fun as you learn and improve.
- High Flight: The Ping G425 irons help beginners launch the ball high, boosting the effectiveness of your shots. (Also boosting your confidence).
- Distance and Forgiveness: Offering impressive distance and tolerance for mishits, these are the most forgiving clubs in this list of the best beginner irons.
- Size: Although they help with the forgiveness of the irons. The relatively large heads could feel bulky to some new players.
Next up is the Wilson Staff D9 Irons. These irons strike a fantastic balance between playability and distance, making them perfect if you are a newcomer to golf. They come with a Power Hole (keep it clean, we're still talking about golf) and Power Chamber technology, enabling high launch angles and enhancing ball speed. All of this combined essentially means that it is ultra forgiving, helps generate ball speed for extra distance, and improves accuracy.
- Power Hole and Power Chamber Technology: These provide greater distance and speed, helping beginners improve their performance.
- Performance Iron Aesthetics: They have a slim top-line and refined sole, providing a classic look while also promoting a high degree of playability and precision.
- Lack of Feedback: The D9 irons may not provide as much feedback on mishits, which could limit learning opportunities for beginners.
The Cobra Aerojet Irons make my list, as they are great for beginner golfers. When I hit these irons, I found them to be very powerful, and this gave me a real confidence boost. However, they're also really forgiving; even when I (regularly) hit the ball off-center, the resulting shot still had excellent distance and accuracy. These irons don't feature as much science or AI tech in their design as other models in this list, but for the price of the irons, they were excellent.
Cobra irons are renowned for the ball speed they can produce; Bryson DeChambeau, well known for his ridiculously long drives and huge iron distances around the course, uses Cobra. The Aerojet irons are no different; you will see immediate improvements in the distance you can achieve with these clubs. If you're looking for game-improvement irons which have excellent distance, forgiveness, and accuracy, all at a great price, these will be your best choice!
- Powerful Feel: The Aerojet Irons will make you feel like Bryson with amazing power on striking the ball.
- Off-center Forgiveness: Mishits aren't punished; these irons are really forgiving, reducing your errors on the course and improving your scores.
- Strong Lofts: Strong lofts could potentially create ball flight issues; this could take some getting used to, making the set tricky for beginners at first.
Before I share my top and final choice for the best iron for beginner golfers at Sunday Red Golf, we know that getting your hands on the best equipment is only the beginning. It’s also essential to understand the game’s etiquette as a new golfer. Be sure to check out our guide to Golf Etiquette for Beginners.
The TaylorMade Stealth irons are not only the hottest golf clubs on the market today, but they are also the irons that will dramatically enhance performance, even for a beginner! They increase forgiveness and distance and offer an excellent feel when hitting the ball.
They use technology that has optimized the center of gravity, which results in a high launch and impressive ball carry. This same technology ensures that for newer golfers, even off-center shots are forgiving, which is exactly the type of club you need as a beginner. As they are categorized as a game-improvement iron, they do have a larger clubface and thicker top-line to the club, so if you're looking for a sleek-looking iron, these might not be the clubs for you.
However, these are amazing irons and have had excellent reviews from both beginner golfers and even those who have been playing longer. I would 100% recommend these irons as the best irons for a beginner golfer in 2023.
- High Launch: The clubs are designed to provide a high trajectory for golf balls, aiding in distance and control.
- Forgiving: These irons are forgiving on off-center hits, providing consistent performance even when you don't strike the ball perfectly.
- Draw Bias: The irons are designed with technology that encourages a draw ball flight, helping to eliminate slices and improve ball flights.
- Unorthodox Looks: The unique aesthetic of the Stealth irons, while modern and sleek to some, may deter golfers who prefer a more traditional look.
- Chunky Appearance: The irons have a wide sole and shallow face height which can give them a chunky look at address, which might not be appealing to all golfers.
Last Years Best Irons For Beginners – (Golf Bargains To Be Found)
If you aren’t worried about a brand new set of clubs and are thinking these are going to be a “next couple of years” kind of plan, then you can grab 2nd hand clubs from places like Golf Bidder or eBay. Here are our picks from last year:
TaylorMade SIM2 Max Irons
The TaylorMade SIM2 Max Irons. These are designed to make your golf more forgiving, which is what everyone dreams of as a beginner. It has a key feature which is called the re-engineered Inverted Cone Technology (ICT). Basically, this maximizes the sweet spot and helps you generate higher launch angles.
The design is also very forgiving for newer golfers, helping with extra carry distances, and even improves accuracy with off-center hits. Actually, this iron has so much technology designed to help the newer golfer; I'm surprised it's allowed in the rules of golf!
- Forgiveness: The SIM2 Max offers improved off-center hits and a larger sweet spot, ideal for beginners still working on their swing consistency.
- ECHO Damping System: This system helps in reducing unwanted vibrations, providing a better feel and sound at impact.
- Progressive Inverted Cone Technology: This technology promotes faster ball speed across the face and reduces side spin, providing more straight shots.
- Price: They may be a little on the pricey side, but for the technology and improvement they can bring to your game, they can be well worth the investment.
If you’re still trying to understand the jargon associated with golf, then have a read of Sunday Red Golf’s beginner’s guide to Golf Terms to get a better understanding of some of the terms mentioned in this article.
Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo Irons
Next on our list is the Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo Irons. These clubs are known for their hybrid-like design, providing an excellent launch with every swing. They also feature a HiBore Crown that promotes a high-launch, low-spin trajectory.
The hybrid style of club is an excellent option for beginner golfers as they are very forgiving, promote better contact with the ground and help to get the ball airborne.
- Hybrid Design: This design promotes easier hits and increased forgiveness, which is perfect for beginners.
- HiBore Crown: This crown promotes a high-launch and low-spin trajectory, which can significantly improve your overall game performance.
- Turbocharged Face: This promotes increased ball speeds and more distance.
- Lack of versatility: Some golfers may find these irons less versatile and harder to shape shots than traditional irons due to their hybrid design.
Callaway Mavrik Irons
I have personally used the Callaway Mavrik Irons and found them excellent. They are another set that offers fantastic forgiveness and distance. The Mavrik irons actually utilize artificial intelligence in their design, and this has helped to boost ball speed and performance.
I found they were really forgiving, even in my many off-center shots; the sound and feel from the club face was great, making (nearly) every shot sound pure. The oversized clubface really gives you a boost in confidence, especially if you are a newer golfer. It also helps to improve your shot accuracy with a larger sweet spot.
- AI-Designed Face Architecture: Increases ball speeds and optimizes spin, resulting in increased distance and more controlled shots.
- Tungsten Energy Core: Tungsten-infused weights in each iron give optimal launch and control, helping with consistency.
- Price: These irons are a bit pricy, which might make them less accessible for some beginners. However, you can find some excellent offers online, and they are often on promotion.
Conclusion: Best Irons For Beginners
This wraps up my guide on the best irons for beginners in 2023. Remember, these clubs are only part of the story. The player swinging the club has just as much, if not more, impact on the game as the iron itself. Hence, focus on mastering your skills as much as you focus on finding the right equipment.
At the end of the day, the best iron set for you is going to be the one that feels right in your hands and helps you enjoy the game. Whether you choose the forgiving and affordable Cobra Aerojet irons, the technology-packed Callaway Paradym, or even decide to stick with the second-hand clubs from your grandad’s old golf bag, the key is to enjoy the journey and have fun on the course.
Remember, every professional golfer started where you are now, and every swing, successful or not, gets you one step closer to finding your perfect game!
If you found this helpful make sure you check out our other guides for beginner golfers:
- Best Golf Balls For Beginners
- Golf Essentials All Golfers Need In Their Bag
- Stableford Scoring: The Complete Guide To Golf’s Popular Format